Friday, May 4, 2007

Very Sad Reality in China

Adopting from China has caused me to be very aware of the plite of the women over there. I have heard stories and seen documentaries about how severe the problem is of women being mistreated. This is the most recent article I've come across that deals with this issue. Women in China have absolutely no choice when it comes to the welfare of themselves or their children. My heart breaks for them. The women in this article did not want to have abortions. They were forced to. The province where this took place is very well known for allowing babies to be adopted internationally. The wait to adopt a child from China has increased to 17 months and climbing. China claims that less babies are being abandoned, thus the reason for the long wait. I guess I assumed that this was because more families were able to afford to keep them( which is a good thing), not forced to abort them. Here is the article if you would like to read it. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9766870

No comments: